Contact Info

Ken Salem
Principal

Jocelyn Brett
Dean of Students

Michael Majofsky
Webmaster

John DeFazio
Sports Webmaster

History



Johnstown Catholic High School had its beginnings on September 8, 1922, with an enrollment of 128 freshmen. The original building housed homerooms for freshmen and sophomores and home economics classrooms and school kitchen. Fifty graduates received diplomas at the first commencement in 1926. The original auditorium/gymnasium was added to the school in 1929. Athletics and the performing arts remain an integral part of school life at Bishop McCort High School.



From 1947 to 1962 it was necessary to use annexes for the freshmen because of a burgeoning enrollment. The parish grade school buildings of St. John Gualbert in the downtown; St. Casimir, Cambria City; St. Anthony in Woodvale were used. Two daily sessions for freshmen were needed in the year before the opening of the remodeled and expanded Catholic High school. In 1961 the original building had three structures added to it. One wing, which parallels Irene Street, contained science and computer labs, art and business classrooms, health, guidance, and administrative offices. A second wing provided athletic, choral, and orchestral facilities. The finely appointed school chapel severs as a connector to and unifier of the McCort School complex.



Johnstown Catholic, expanded and renewed, became Bishop McCort High School. Honored by the name change is the Bishop John J. McCort who started the Diocesan Catholic High School.

© 2007 Bishop McCort High School | Johnstown, PA 15905 | 814-536-8991
Designed by Brad Barbin